Sunday, 6 September 2015

New Venture #adorabellaminis

Tomorrow after the postman has brought my supplies (fingers crossed)  I'm going to be trying my hand at a new venture/side line so I might not be making many of my little characters this coming week.

I'll be posting photo's of what I'm up to if I succeed  x

Monday Morning Bright and Early 

My heads bursting with ideas & possibilities.  Hope that postman arrives early! 

Wednesday Morning 9th Sept '15 

Well my initial idea was a complete and utter flop :(  I tried and failed at making clay heads to go on clothespin dolls.  The reason why I'm trying my hand at clothespin dolls is I've been asked to make a cake topper.  It is not needed until next Summer so I've plenty of time :)

After much experimenting I did get the clay to stick well to the wooden clothes pegs but they just didn't look right!

So I'm now going to make clothespin dolls in the same fashion as everyone else with the task of making them look a little different.

I now need more supplies!

Wooden bead heads also called Wooden Dowel Caps seem to be such a challenge to find at a reasonable price and the postage £5.50?   Why is it often when something becomes popular for crafts the price rockets? I've brought 50 pegs and stands after all ;)  50 heads could cost a fortune!


Paul hit on an idea of buying plain wooden balls and is going to try and drill the holes for me.

I'm learning all the time and we need a brad point center spur wood Drill bit for this job.  That little point at the tip will be perfect.  It's going to be fiddly as the balls I've ordered are 1".  Most folks seem to sell 1 1/4" for the heads.


I've been experimenting on the best way to make the arms.  I've tried pipe cleaners and different thicknesses of wire and all sorts of different cottons, crochet cottons and silks and so far a paper covered wire .8 mm and DK ish cotton yarn seems to look the best.

I only had a dishcloth cotton in DK in cream so I'll see what I can find in the correct shade when I go to town at the end of the week.


I hope no one minds my rambling but I thought it might help someone else that wants to try making clothespin dolls.
I'll post more as my supplies arrive and I experiment more.

Phew 1st Clothespin Doll Finished (that took some doing)









5 comments:

  1. Oooooooh! Exciting ;-)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind your ramblings?? I LOVE THEM ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is wonderful Joy! You've done a fabulous job ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

      Delete